Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A not so fun week...

A few weeks ago Hurricane Irene rolled into the Northeast, I think technically it was a tropical storm by the time it got to us in Connecticut.  We prepared for the storm and I think the kids were even a little excited about their very first hurricane.  The day of the hurricane we lost power at 5:30 am and did not get it back for six days later.  It wasn't very fun living without power, but not having water was what was super hard for us.  We have well water, and the well pump can't run without power.  I am one that needs to shower everyday first thing in the morning and not being able to do that was terrible.  Luckily I had some family members that didn't loose power and I shower hopped for a week.  It's a little odd to walk in someone's door and head straight for the shower, but I needed my shower.

I tried to document our day on the actual day of the hurricane a bit, I thought it would be fun for the kids to look back on how they survived Hurricane Irene.

Coloring was a big hit:


Tyler spent some time with his DS (and without his shirt):

Charlotte was happy to have us all home all day:

Lucy slept through everything (not surprising):

Steve attempted to make coffee with the Keurig in the truck (epic fail):

He then decided reading would be more successful:

Juliana and I played cards:

I also made sure I had flashlights ready for lights out:

I surveyed the damage mid-storm:

And the kids made a fort:

I definitely don't think it will go down in history as one of the best days ever, but we certainly made do with our time.  Let's just hope it's another 20 years before the next hurricane, because Mama needs her shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment