Tuesday, September 6, 2011

First day always makes me cry...

Another summer has come and gone and today is the first day of school.  I don't know where the summer went, seems like just yesterday was the last day of school, yet here we are already at the first day of school.  I cry every year on the first day of school, I think I get so emotional for several reasons.  First, I miss my kids when they are at school, for all the days they drove me crazy this summer, I still miss them so much.  Second, it's another year closer to them growing up and moving out of the house and off to their own separate lives.  Ever since the day they were born I've been sad about them growing up.  Third, it marks the unofficial end to summer, my most favorite season, and brings on the dread of cold and snow that is winter.

They were both excited for school this morning, especially Juliana who is starting middle school today.  I know she'll do great, but it doesn't make it any easier on me when I watched her get on that yellow school bus this morning.  I remember her first day of preschool, I cried for the entire 2.5 hours she was there, it was such a hard day.  I was looking back at pictures, and came across one from her first day of preschool when she was 3 (almost 4):


And here she is this morning, age 9 (almost 10):


And of course there is Tyler, he's a big third grader now.  We are actually super excited for this year as he has the same 3rd grade teacher Juliana had and we love her.  I came across this picture of him on his first day of preschool, he was 2 (almost 3):


And here he is this morning, age 7 (almost 8):


Every year I take one of them together in front of the fireplace, here is them at age 2 & 4, and today at age 7 & 9:



If I had a glass in my hand right now I would raise it in a toast to another successful school year, and to slowing down time.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, these pictures are precious! So nice that you are documenting their school years this way, even if it means summer is over and they are growing.

    I'm so glad you liked the pumpkin with the buttons!

    ~Jenifer
    Gordon Gossip

    ReplyDelete