Friday, June 22, 2012

Do it yourself microwave popcorn...

I love popcorn!  It's my go to snack.  I have been buying microwave popcorn for as long as I can remember.  It's convenient, quick, and delicious.  However, I've read recently that the chemicals in the bags may not be that great for you, in fact there are carcinogens that may cause cancer... um... no thanks!  I can't remember where I saw it, but I heard about an easy way to make your own microwave popcorn.  It's just as easy as the store bought popcorn, but with added benefits.  First, your not getting the chemicals found in typical microwave bags, and second you can control the amount of butter, oil, and salt.

All you need are some brown paper lunch bags (you know the ones you always had to bring a bagged lunch in on a field trip, the ones that guaranteed your food would be squished by lunch time).  You also need some popcorn kernels (super inexpensive and you'll be amazed how much popcorn you can make from one jar.  And finally some oil, butter, salt, or any other toppings you desire (you can get creative here).



Measure a half a cup of kernels and put them in your brown bag.  Next you fold the bag top down a couple of times and put it in the microwave.  I cook mine on high for 2 1/2 minutes (wait until there is less then two seconds between pops to take it out of the microwave).




And there you have it, a healthy alternative to microwave popcorn.  Just add your toppings and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment