Sunday, July 12, 2009

Juliana was asking a lot of questions about being arrested and what jail was like the other day.  One thing you have to understand about both of my children is that they pay attention to everything!  You can't have any type of conversation in their presence and not expect to have them listening and asking questions.  I once heard that it's a sign of intelligence when a kid asks a lot of questions, if that is true, then I've got a couple of Einstein's living with me.  Back to jail, we were driving down the highway and the questions start, I don't know what wheels were turning in her head to begin the 40 minutes of questioning, but she wanted to know everything.  Most important was, what can you be put in jail for.  So we went over a bunch of laws and what prison is like, and why people go there.  The conversation ended and I am sure we moved onto something else with just as many questions.  Later that night Juliana came into my room and started again asking about what all the laws were.  She asked if when she turns 8 if I could tell her ALL of them. 

The one that stuck out most to her was about drinking and driving.  I had to explain what the effects of alcohol were and why you couldn't drive after drinking.  I saw the wheels turning again and the questions then proceeded.  My favorite one was, "What if you are driving and all you have in the car is beer and alcohol, and you are so thirsty, then what happens?".  To which I replied that you would have to find somewhere to get something else to drink because you can't drink and drive.  Her next question was, "What if you are driving in the dessert and there's no place to buy anything else to drink and all you have is beer and alcohol and your so, so, so dehydrated, then what?".  Well that one stumped me!

Then she say's, "Mom, I'm really worried, I am not even 8 yet and I have a lot of years to go, I hope I don't have to go to jail".  Poor kid, at 7 years old she's worried she'll forget a law and have to go to jail.  While other kids are worried they won't get to watch their favorite tv show, or they can't find a toy they lost, my daughter is worried about the judicial system!

No comments:

Post a Comment