Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My love affair with The New Kids on the Block...

I was born in 1976, I don't remember anything from pop culture of the 70's (Thank God), but like many people my age, I will always remember the 80's (and 90's).  I mean how can anyone that was alive during that time forget the "Hair Bands", the neon colors, Michael Jackson's mysterious one white glove, the overuse of aqua net:

Through the haze of too much hairspray and moonwalkers emerged a boy band from Boston, yes you guessed it, The New Kids on the Block.  I was obsessed, I was in love, I was one of those screaming little girls with big bangs freaking out every time there was a mention of them.  When I was 13 my sister and her boyfriend took me with them to see NKOTB in concert in Providence (this made up for every mean thing my sister had ever done to me... not counting the time she stabbed me in the face with a fork), I was unable to sleep for weeks leading up to the concert.  Our tickets were behind the stage (we saw their backs all night), but it was the best night of my life!  My sister took me to see them again for a Christmas concert (she was almost the best sister ever, except for the time she hurled a full can of aqua net at my head), but again, it was the best night ever!  I remember walking into school the next day wearing my NKOTB concert shirt, everyone laughed at me, but I didn't care, I was in pre-teen love!

Fast forward to April 4th, 2008.  I had been married for 9 years, I had two children, I was a stay at home mom (aka Domestic Engineer), and it was my birthday.  The New Kids on the Block announced that they were reuniting after a 15 year hiatus (HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME)!  I was so excited, I hadn't realized how much I missed them until I saw them all together on TV again.  As soon as they announced they would be touring I bought tickets to see them, as soon as their new CD was released I bought it.  I had been so devoted to my husband and kids for so long that I had forgotten to do anything just for myself, and this was something that was all for me!


The first concert I went to as an adult I went with my best friend Stephanie (we've been friends since 7th grade).  It was the first night I would be spending away from my children (my children were 5 & 7), I was so sad to go away without them, but so excited for a night off for me!  The night away was so much fun, and the concert...  it was AMAZING!  We had 4th row seats at the Boston Garden, and it was a night I will never forget.  It was different from when I saw them when I was younger, that was pandemonium and this was just pure fun!  

We even realized we were staying at the same hotel as them, we got to meet two of them in the lobby (Jordan Knight and Danny Wood).


Since that concert in 2008 and I have seen them countless times.  Most of the time with Stephanie, but my friend Tanya has been a trooper and lets me drag her to some of the concerts too.  I've seen them in NYC at Radio City Music Hall and in Boston at Fenway Park and so many more.  I've done so much more "for myself" that I don't know if I would of done without NKOTB.  It's almost like going to concerts is my little Mommy/Wife escape.  I have a wonderful life and love my husband and children with every fiber of my being, but getting away and having these other men to swoon over is the icing 
on the cake.



I even got to meet Donnie Wahlberg (now I only have two more to meet, it's good to have goals).

And yes, much like walking into the hallways of middle school wearing an NKOTB concert t-shirt, I still get laughed at and teased for my obsession with The New Kids on the Block, but you know what, don't care!  Bring it on!  It's so nice to be at a place in your life when you can just do what you want and what you love without letting what others think effect you.  I get to sing and dance to 5 amazing performers singing and dancing for me (so maybe it's not just for me, but in my mind they are there for me).  I hope everyone finds something in their life that makes them smile, laugh, and just let go for a bit.  Life is too short to not schedule in some time for fun!







No comments:

Post a Comment